Monday 18 September 2017

DD K.O.s Spot P.O.s Mob

Daredevil Vol.3 #1 (2011)
Chosen by me from my shelf because I've decided it's Daredevil week or something. I dunno.


Coming off of the back of a run which was basically Matt Murdoch having a nervous breakdown (the Bendis years) being in prison (Brubaker) and a mess of a story I barely remember (the normally reliable Diggle) Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin's relaunch was a breath of fresh air.
Straight forward but not condescending, old school but not wallowing in false nostalgia the first issue and it's back up story get busy with a back to basics approach and a firm grasp of character delivered with panache art wise.
It's still a crime book, starting with a Mob wedding but the shift in tone is evident as it doesn't wallow in misery at all and the pulp is more heroic than noir.
It may get lost in the great runs Daredevil has had (always going to be hard to beat Bendis/Maleev for me but the next volume was another of comics great double acts Waid/Samnee) but it's good stuff and well worth looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment