Saturday 16 September 2017

I understand your revolt

Persepolis #1 (2000)
Chosen by me from my shelves after a suggestion from Chantal, I think, to compare the book and the film but I couldnt find a copy of the film to watch.


A sweet, funny, sad and often caustic look at a turbulent childhood shoved around by history.
Satrapi's art is deceptively simple conveying a deep emotion through a few ink lines.
The story is split into small chunks each titled, small vignettes that add up to a portrait of a country in turmoil.
Sometimes the naive sensibility of seeing it through a child's eyes works to examine the horror in an interesting way, at others it seems (logically) reductive, but maintaining her young voice can keep it from too much misery and also illustrates how people can adapt to the situation around them (especially the young - in a neat bit her mother can't get used to the way inflation has rocketed prices which Marjane takes in her stride).


No comments:

Post a Comment