Sunday 17 September 2017

today we hire mutant assassins and ninjas and half-man-half-god-knows-what--

Daredevil Vol.2 #26 (2001)
Chosen by me from my shelf. Another of the books that got me into Marvel comics in a big way.


I just didnt really think Super-hero comics could be like this.
It's seven pages before we even see Matt Murdoch, seven pages of a slime-ball gangster, more suited to The Sopranos waxing pretentiously about Julius Ceaser and being more than a little cynical about, well, super-hero nonsense. There is an inciting incident here, more than just talk (and I had read some of Frank Miller's Daredevil before this so was aware of the Kingpin enough to realise the events importance) but it's another six pages before we see Murdoch in the red. Chasing down Nitro (who would have a much more prominent role in one of Marvel's epoch defining series about five years later) the sequence is excitingly illustrated enough but a little dramatically underwhelming with a slight damp squib of a cliffhanger (i cant recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure I came to this run a touch later so probably picked up some back issues and read in one go meaning this wouldn't have been a problem at the time I read it).
Reading this now, it seems a little underwhelming but it has the weight of being one of my favourite runs of a comic ever on it's back I suppose and it's still really, really good.
Maleev's more photo-realistic dark art suiting Bendis' writing perfectly creating one of the great writer/artist teams (they may have done some Sam and Twitch together before this, I'm unsure of the timeline, but I read that many years later).

No comments:

Post a Comment